05.11. – 12.12.2021
We – Sun
11.00 a.m. – 05.00 p.m.
Exhibition in kunstRaum22
Leo Hohlfeld 1872 to 1951
Leo Hohlfeld was born on May 29, 1872 in Wahren and grew up in Schwerin. His artistic career began with training in the studio of the renowned stage designer Wildbrandt in Schwerin. However, this alone was not enough for him, he took additional lessons with the restorer Prof. Malchin. He used the skills he had acquired in this way at theaters in Schwerin, Leipzig, Zwickau and Dessau. His next professional station was the Rostock Theater, before he was called back to the Dessau Court Theater because of his artistic abilities.
In 1898 Hohlfeld made the decision to become artistically independent, but in 1937 he took over the function of a part-time custodian of the works of art owned by the city of Dessau.
In the second half of his life, Leo Hohlfeld was one of the most famous Dessau painters. With his particularly distinctive art of landscape reproduction, he had laid the foundations for this. The fact that Hohlfeld was forgotten after World War II may be due to the fact that he neither belonged to the resistance nor was an active supporter of the Nazi regime. Works by him are offered sporadically in auctions.
Outdoor exhibition in the city center
Lyonel Feininger: Views of Dessau - An exhibition on the 150th anniversary of his birth
Lyonel Feininger was the first master appointed by Walter Gropius for the newly founded State Bauhaus in Weimar. He worked at the Bauhaus in Dessau as a master without teaching duties from 1926 to 1932, before leaving Dessau in 1933 as the last Bauhaus master.
In his Dessau years Feininger had a thoroughly creative and productive time in his profession as a painter, although very few motifs concern Dessau and its surroundings.
In 1928, he began to explore the modern medium of photography, and did so primarily in his personal local environment. He discovered photography for himself initially through nocturnal rambles in the city of Dessau. Motifs are the Bauhaus building and the master houses, one of which he lived in with his family. But the Dessau city center, the Elbe River and landscape, as well as the Dessau train station and trains were also popular motifs.
While Feininger achieved worldwide fame as a painter, graphic artist, and caricaturist during his lifetime, his photographic oeuvre is little known today. The photographs on display come from the private Lyonel Feininger Archive, which is housed at Harvard University/ Busch-Reisinger Museum. It comprises over 18,000 photo negatives and slides, some of which have never been published before, which provide insights into Lyonel Feininger’s impressive photographic oeuvre and represent a valuable and significant contemporary testimony to Dessau’s urban history.
The Förderverein Meisterhäuser Dessau e. V. now returns after a longer break with the exhibition “Lyonel Feininger: Dessauer Stadtansichten – Eine Ausstellung zum 150. Geburtstag”.
At the same time, the exhibition is intended to encourage visitors to visit the places photographed, as a large part of them still exist today and can be discovered on an autumnal walk.
The exhibition opening will take place on 03 October 2021, at 14:00 on the open space in front of the Bauhaus Museum in Kavalierstraße in Dessau. The opening will be musically accompanied by works by Lyonel Feininger. The Förderverein Meisterhäuser Dessau e.V. is fortunate to have Conrad Feininger as a speaker at the opening.
The project “Lyonel Feininger: Dessauer Stadtansichten – Eine Ausstellung zum 150. Geburtstag” (Lyonel Feininger: Dessau City Views – An Exhibition on the 150th Birthday) is supported in the program Kultursommer 2021 by the Beauftrage der Bundesregierung für Kultur und Medien (BKM) with funds from NEUSTART KULTUR.
Exhibition in the Museum of City History/ Johannbau
New treasures of Dessau's city history - donations, new acquisitions and rarely shown items
In August 2021, two tiny plates (dm. 6.8 cm) from the 2nd half of the 19th century gave cause for joy to the Museum für Stadtgeschichte Dessau. Mrs. Gisela Schaube from North Rhine-Westphalia, a great-granddaughter of the former owner, made them a gift to us. Since then, the plates have enriched the porcelain holdings in the collection, which also includes valuable unique pieces from the collection of the former court clockmaker Fritz Seelmann.
The owner of the plates was Gerhard Heine (1825-1910), a native of Dessau. He had studied theology, philosophy and philology in Halle and later worked as a regional seminary director in Köthen. He was also active as a writer. In 1866, for example, the “History of the Land of Anhalt and its Princes” was published. In 1864 he married Elisabeth Schubring, daughter of the theologian Julius Schubring from Dessau.
The motifs of the small plates show historical buildings relevant to the city: The former Leopold-Dank-Stift was built by Prince Leopold Maximilian in 1746-1750 as a monastery building to house elderly war invalids. Formerly, a tall sandstone obelisk standing on four columns adorned the corner building. In 1838 this was demolished due to dilapidation. The tower in its present form was built in 1847-1850, modeled on the campanile at the Hospital of St. Spirito in Rome. Since 1927, the building has been the seat of the Dessau Museum of Natural History and Prehistory.
The second plate shows the three-winged complex of the Ducal Dessau Residence Palace. At that time, the courtyard was still decorated with beautiful potted plants. During the Second World War, the palace fell victim to bombs dropped over the city. Shortly after the war, the east and south wings were demolished. The only surviving wing, the Johannbau, remained as a wartime ruin until the fall of the Berlin Wall. Today it houses the Dessau Museum of Urban History.
The press marks on the bottom of the plates refer to the Königliche Porzellanmanufaktur Berlin. Presumably, they were purchased as white ware (i.e., unpainted) from KPM and then finished in Dessau. Here, in Oct. 1875, a manufactory of the porcelain painter August Arnbeck, who came from Neuhaldensleben, opened in Askanische Straße 3, where self-painted porcelain was fired. Arnbeck operated his trade until his death in 1903. The processing in this manufactory is not one hundred percent certain, but it is obvious. Collecting porcelain was a hobby in the 2nd half of the 19th century.
Exhibition in the Orangery at Georgium Castle
Sugar from beets - A "fuel" of the modern age
The Dessau Sugar Refinery was founded on June 14, 1871 and entered in the commercial register on September 1, 1871. The company was founded in order to put into industrial practice the process developed by chemists Max and Emil Fleischer for extracting sugar by desugaring molasses with the aid of strontium compounds.
This process made it possible to produce consumer sugar easily and inexpensively.
The sugar refinery developed into one of the most important economic enterprises in our city, which also included the Strontian and potash factory in Roßlau. To mark the birth of the Dessau Sugar Refinery 150 years ago, the Dessau-Roßlau City Archives and the Dessau Museum of City History are currently preparing an exhibition entitled Sugar from Beets – A “Fuel of the Modern Age”, which will not only shed light on the history of the Dessau Sugar Refinery up to today’s Gärungschemie Dessau GmbH.
The cultivation of sugar beet and the beet sugar industry were also associated with modern technical developments and numerous innovations in agribusiness, mechanical engineering, the chemical industry and food and luxury food production, but it also had a major influence on everyday life, politics, culture, migration and numerous other areas of society.
These complex interrelationships are examined for the first time in the exhibition for Dessau-Roßlau and the Anhalt region using numerous objects, models, graphics, photos and film footage.
Sugar was once a luxury good. However, with the growing production volume of beet sugar, from the last third of the 19th century at the latest, members of the poorer classes of society were also able to afford sugar for sweetening coffee or tea and sugary products such as sweets, jam, sweet pastries, cakes and pies. Probably every family had sugar containers in the pantry or sugar bowls on the dining table. These changes in the everyday life of people will also be shown in the exhibition.
Open Space Gallery
Take your time for a walk through the city and discover the most beautiful places of Dessau-Roßlau as photo impressions on an approximately 3.5 km long circuit between the train station and Kavalierstraße.
In this interesting format, the temporary exhibition presents appealing topics such as urban development, urban history and urban culture.
Local and regional photographers were asked to send in their very personal and most beautiful views of the sights of Dessau-Roßlau. The impressive results can be viewed on a walk through the city, can also be experienced digitally and inspire people to visit the original sites.
The photo impressions will be on display until spring 2022. After that, the exhibition will change thematically.
Click here to go to the exhibition page.
Fictional Sofia Dona, Mara Genschel and Andrea Acosta
Over the past weeks and months, the artists Sofia Dona and Andrea Acosta as well as the writer Mara Genschel have dealt intensively with the UNESCO World Heritage Site of the Masters’ Houses in Dessau, but also with various infrastructures. New, impressive works have emerged that bring the often hidden foundations of everyday life to light. In terms of content, they deal with everything from hunting and publishing to the stones with which the Masters’ Houses were once built.
This year, the Bauhaus Dessau Foundation is increasingly focusing on the topic of infrastructures as part of its programmes. The traces of the exploitation of resources that modern comfort had as its background are still present in the landscape around Dessau today. The structural legacies of Bauhaus modernism form an ideal starting point for critically questioning the connection between modernism and its infrastructure.
A programme in cooperation with Literaturhaus Berlin and Galerie für Zeitgenössische Kunst, Leipzig.